Sunday, August 12, 2018

Lisa's Corner #21

A new place in Sardis called "Farm to Table Country Kitchen and Vintage Market" opened earlier this year. After the previous owner closed up shop, I figured it would just sit there as another empty building.
One weekend while driving by on Sardis Road, my husband and I were talking about what we would do it if we were able to get the building. I was thinking it would be a good place for a community center to rent out for weddings, family reunions, birthdays, etc. My husband thought it would be a great place to open a resturant and play live music. Back in the 90’s, we lived in Monticello and patronized a place called Melodies and Meals. They played live music and the owners wife cooked all the food. It was only a small place on Main Street in Monticello but the local musicians came to practice and play.
Tom Self and Carl Johnson (my dad). Taken in the mid 1980's.

My husband and I have been in the resale business for over 20 years together. I grew up with a father who would sell at the Pine Bluff Flea Market and he opened several different kinds of small shops in Sheridan. Buying and selling has been part of my life for most of my life so having a husband who also grew up buying and selling shouldn’t be no surprise to those who know me. My husband has been buying and selling since he could pull his little red wagon. He would sell turnip greens from his daddies garden. He was the youngest buyer in Southeast Arkansas at the local auction in Monticello. He was a ringman at the local auction and worked with several different auctioneers over the years. Everyone in Monticello knew him and selling is in his blood. He is also knowable in antique glass and vintage stuff in general. His auction family taught him well.

We personally know Wesley and Charlene Brown who now own the metal building next to the Dollar Store on Sardis. They are having great success. The locals are coming in to check it out even if it is just to browse. Everyone keeps asking about the kitchen. I think everyone is going to be surprised when they get a taste of Charlene’s cooking. She can cook anything. I am so glad that it was bought by them. They even have kept the Shoe tree alive that was taken down by the road department. A local painter painted a likeness of the Shoe tree on the metal building complete with shoes.

So when you have a free Saturday afternoon, take a little drive to Sardis. You will know you are in Sardis because you will see a sign that states “All Roads Lead to Sardis.” Stop in and say “hi” to Wesley and Charlene. Please feel free to browse around. They have a little bit of everything and if they don’t have it just ask. Tell them what you are looking for and they will pass it on to their booth renters. We like to know what you are looking for whether it is something vintage, handmade or new. Let us know. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
I think we have a strong community that can band together to help support our local business. Thanks again, Lisa Sanders 08/12/2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment