Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Delimma

I have a delimma. I want to post things that are real and happening in my life but I am not sure I should. I want to tell my readers about the daily struggles I have but I am not sure I should. I want to express my feelings about things going on in my life but I am not sure I should.

Do you see my delimma? I wonder if I should post things that are real and happening to me. I worry about telling about something because somebody may get mad or misunderstand. I hear about people getting in trouble about things they post on Twitter and I don't want to be one of those people. Do you see my delimma?

If you, as my reader, can give some advise on what I should do, to post about real things in my life or just make up stuff? To maybe give the story and situation but not use real names? This has really been a conflict for me these past couple of weeks since I turned 40.

I see things in a whole new light now that I am older and I am really feeling it. I see people differently now. I want to stand up for my rights and say what I think but I'm actually scared to for fear of being attacked verbally. So my delimma is I don't know what I should be posting and what I shouldn't.

Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    This is a great blog and poses the biggest question, in my opinion, we want to write real and interesting stuff that is affecting us but we don’t want others to get mad about it.

    I’ll give you some insight into how I handle it and maybe it will give you a hint on what you can do. I am careful when talking about stuff that friends and family members say and do that make me mad or sensitive personal topics. I try to look at the big picture and see what lessons I, and the other people involved, all learned from the situation. This gives us a broader perspective and hopefully sets us above the he said/she said stuff. Even at that, when something is very sensitive, I won’t write about life lessons that someone else learned because they might figure out that I was talking about them. I always avoid names when it comes to life lessons others learn if it could at all become a problem to anyone. I’ll usually only use names if someone does something really special and I would like to point them out…and I know they will like the mention.

    Recent arguments I have with my spouse, friends and relatives probably do not belong on my blog. Once published, a blog is permanent, and basically impossible to un-do. As time passes, sometimes people become less sensitive about issues, and maybe a blog about the life lessons learned are appropriate. With issues like this, I will ask things like “Are we really listening?” Maybe I notice that a friend or family member just isn’t hearing the things I say to them. They might not even know I have an issue with it. In this case I might look at the general phenomenon of miscommunication. Perhaps more importantly, I could look at when people tell me stuff and I misunderstood them. There is a big difference between this sort of philosophical writing and giving you a script of what I said and what my friend, Harry, said, and how he obviously is a jerk.

    On the other hand, there are a lot of things that happen in my life that are very positive and not really sensitive. If the people involved saw I wrote about the incident and told the world, they would probably be pretty pleased. I try to stick to these topics a little more anyway because I feel like the reader gets a boost from hearing positive things. Positive things are much easier to write about and usually carry with them less of a chance of others becoming upset when they hear about it.

    I hope my comment has been helpful and I look forward to your many blogs to follow!
    Sincerely,
    Bill Lowell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that the more "real" it keep it, the more comments & feedback I get. It seems things like subscribers and etc. pick up too.

    I think you should blog about whatever....but make sure you're comfortable with it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete